Saturday, September 21, 2013

Ziploc Vacuum Sealer - $39.99!

I really need to start saving money. Or, stop spending money. Last month, Kaiser the Dog had a stroke (he's doing great!), but the near-$4,000 of veterinarian bills was unexpected to say the least. I needed to start cutting back. Luckily my darling boyfriend is a great cook, and we're homebodies, so skipping the restaurants and eating at home was an easy kill. But then what?

I came across this blog, Blissful and Domestic, and was amazed at how she lives with her family on $14,000 a year. A year. I could use some of her tips! I was inspired.

This is the first post in my adventure to spend less, without feeling like I'm losing out.

Today's big budget-friendly "splurge" will save me tons in the long run. It's a Ziploc Vacuum Sealer. It was $42 or so at Wal-Mart. (You can get it for $39.99 at Menards by clicking here.) I've always wanted one of these toys (I have a slightly odd obsession with very specific small kitchen appliances). But man, are they expensive! Then along came Ziploc.

I stocked up on ground beef, chicken breasts, Italian sausages, and shredded cheese at Sam's Club. I came home and had a little sealing party, splitting up all the bulk meats and sealing them into portion sizes. I even opened a bag of chips and resealed it, just to see if it would work, and it did! I admit, it was kind of fun. My freezer is full, and I am a happy camper. I'm pretty sure this just paid for itself in one day.

What do you think? Do you have one? Have you continued to use it? Right now, it's a new toy to me; I hope it doesn't end up forgotten on a shelf. I kind of love it right now, in a you-could-change-my-life kind of way.

Ziploc Vacuum Sealer
Ziploc Vacuum Sealer

No comments: