Monday, October 14, 2013

Hyundai Hope on Wheels 5k Race - 27:33

We ran the Hyundai Hope on Wheels 5k. This was a well put-together race. We finished on the Riverwalk Stadium baseball field. I finished second in my age group! 27:33. I didn't think it was fast enough for anything until they posted the race results. I got a medal, too. So did everyone else. But it's a real metal medal. On a ribbon chain and everything. And the mayor was there high-fiving people as they crossed the finish line. That's a really cool thing to do, Mr. Mayor!

The route was uphill for the first mile. Really. Uphill. I was thinking the whole time, who does this to people? This definitely separates the runners from the...well...the highly motivated people that thought they were going to run it. By the 3/4 mile mark, we were dodging people that had already pooped out.

DB ran with me the whole time. Bless his heart. The last half mile he was pulling away from me, but kept looking over his shoulder to make sure I didn't quit (or die). But we finished together because he thought the finish line was the same as the start line. We still had a 1/4 mile to go when he thought we would be done. 

I will probably never wear the race t-shirt though. Oh, it's a nice shirt. Dry-wicking fabric and everything. The nicest quality shirt I've ever gotten for free. But the design...the little blue handprints are right on my boobs! Who approved this? 

This is the race t-shirt.
That second place win was great. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a good hour or so. DB thinks we can shave a minute and a half off our time, which would make me a contender for first place. That same time would put him in the top three, once he has his birthday and gets pushed into a higher age group. Always thinking, that one.

I'd post a motivating song, but I didn't have headphones.

No comments: