Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Custom Cut Glass for Picture Frames

As I stand here in the blue home improvement store, waiting for my turn to have a piece of glass cut, I thought I'd share what I hope ends up being a budget tip.

Earlier today, I bought a picture frame, and promptly broke the glass as it slid slow-motion off the table.

I'm at this store for a totally different reason, but happened to walk down the aisle where they hide the sheets of glass. I say "hide," because I spend a lot of time in these home improvement stores, strolling the aisles, thinking of projects...and I've never ever ever noticed this.

Anyway, back to the story of how I saved a little money.

There is an employee cutting glass for another customer. Not only did I not know they stocked sheets of glass, I didn't know they would cut it, too. Seriously, I just spent $$$$ on custom-cut glass shelves for my cabinets, when I could have come here and spent $.

So let me just act like I meant to come down this aisle for this specific purpose. On the fly, I decided that I'm going with acrylic, since glass and I don't get along. Also, the final framed picture is going in a bathroom. Just the thought of broken glass on a tile floor makes me want to faint. 

It's $8.98 for an 18" x 24" sheet, which he's going to cut down to the 16" x 20" I need. I feel like $8.98 is cheap. Especially since he cut it for me. I'm already looking at other things that might need a custom piece of glass or acrylic.

Here's a picture of the employee cutting it. Sorry it's all blurry and stuff, but one bad picture is better than no picture at all.


Certified Super Star Glass Cutter Man

Bis Später!

No comments: